In the wake of Covid-19, we are ready to provide you with additional support to help you get a new job.
- Free HGV driver training for Waltham Forest residents
- Upcoming job fairs and events
- Job clubs: free one-to-one support
- Free employment programmes for Waltham Forest residents
- Enrol on a job skills course or workshop
- Become job-ready: free help and courses from Microsoft, Gov UK and others
- Current vacancies in Waltham Forest
- Employment service (Steps into work)
- Business help for employers and self-employed residents
- Jobs help contact form
Free HGV driver training for Waltham Forest residents
Need a new job and a new challenge? You could become an HGV (large or heavy goods vehicle) driver! Waltham Forest Council has partnered with local employers and expert trainers to offer free HGV training for Waltham Forest residents.
Job clubs: free one-to-one support
Want help but don’t have time for a course? Book a free job club session. Our experienced team offers support and advice, help with CVs and interviews, access to job search websites, and much more.
When and where
Our job clubs are during term-time on Wednesdays and Fridays. Join us for:
- employment support and advice
- help with CVs and interviews
- access to job search websites.
We have online and in-person job club sessions. There is a limit of three sessions for each person.
Online sessions (Wednesday afternoons)
One-hour sessions available from 1pm to 4pm:
- 15 December 2021
- 5 January 2022
- 12 January 2022
- 19 January 2022
- 26 January 2022
- 2 February 2022
- 9 February 2022
- 16 February 2022
In-person sessions (Friday mornings)
One-hour sessions available from 9.30am to 12.30pm:
- 17 December 2021
- 7 January 2022
- 14 January 2022
- 21 January 2022
- 28 January 2022
- 4 February 2022
- 11 February 2022
In-person sessions will be at our Queens Road Learning Centre, 97 Queens Road, Walthamstow E17 8QR.
Please book in advance:
- phone 020 8496 2974; or
- email us with your full name, phone number and preferred job club dates.
Upcoming job fairs and events
For current vacancies in a range of sectors, and to get free jobs help, join Waltham Forest Council’s upcoming job fairs and events.
Free employment programmes for Waltham Forest residents
Passport to Work programme
Are you trying to get a job? Our Passport to Work programme for unemployed Waltham Forest residents includes digital skills, interview skills and teamwork. You will also create a learning plan and get access to job vacancies.
Barts Community Works for Health
This is a free pre-employment programme with Barts Health NHS Trust for Waltham Forest residents who want a role in healthcare. We partner with BARTS Health NHS Trust to deliver these courses.
Phoebe attended our Community Works for Health programme. After our course, she successfully landed interviews for several roles, and got a new job as a Community Support Worker. She said:
‘Thank you all for the knowledge and everything I have learnt from the programme including the interview preparation. Nothing else could have prepared me this well for an interview done in the NHS format … The placement has been such a fountain of knowledge and has been amazing to learn the experience of the other staff!’
Phoebe, Community Works for Health learner
For more about our programme, please email Communityinitiative.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrol on a job skills course or workshop
Trying to get a job or a promotion? Our workshops and short courses can help! All our job skills courses are free if you do not have a job.
We have different courses to help with your job skills and personal development. They include ‘tips for dealing with stress and difficult situations’ and ‘confidence and motivation for finding work’.
For our next job skills courses, please check our online course finder.
Our courses and workshops
- We can help you recognise your own experience and ability, define your goals and gain essential skills for a new job or a promotion.
- Our short and one-day courses include dealing with stress and difficult situations; confidence and motivation for finding work; and pathways to personal development.
- Our courses can help you develop the confidence to find work and make sure you know the best way to keep a job.
- Learning with us: Our courses will be a blend of online and face-to-face learning.
From our learners
‘I have a new sense of freedom and strength. I believe in myself more. The trainer Kiechelle is an amazing person, full of knowledge, encouraging, full of joy in all areas from teaching style to fully supporting class exercises.’
Christine, self-confidence course learner
Practical skills and confidence
We can help you:
- find out what employers want
- gain knowledge and skills for work
- build your CV
- complete application forms and covering letters
- improve your interview techniques
- develop your communication skills
- improve your time management and team working skills
- improve your self-confidence.
Our dedicated team of professional tutors has a wealth of experience teaching employability skills. Some have worked as training coaches, so they know the skills that employers value.
Our tutors can help you build your skills and confidence, and show you where to access job opportunities.
Our partners include Steps into work (Waltham Forest Job Brokerage), BARTS Health NHS Trust and Nelft (North East London NHS Foundation Trust).
For more information about our courses, please email us.
Become job-ready: free help and courses from Microsoft, Gov UK and others
If you are trying to get back into work, get your first job or change your career, it can be hard to know where to start. From CV tips to vacancies and skills courses, help is available. Explore our page on free jobs support, training and resources from Microsoft, Waltham Forest Council and Gov UK.
Employment service (Steps into work)
The Steps into work employment service team will support you at every stage of your journey to getting a new job. The team can help you:
- feel more confident
- improve your CV
- practise for interviews
- find vacancies
- complete job applications
- write your personal statement, and more.
Call 0208 496 4182 (Monday to Friday, 10am–4pm) or email email@example.com
CV help and application advice
For links to templates and other resources to help you write a CV and cover letter, you can also visit the Council’s web page on applying for jobs.
Business help: employers and self-employed
Own a business or want to start one? Our business team offers advice and funding opportunities for local businesses.
Current vacancies in Waltham Forest
Jobs help contact form
Find out more about how we can help you: complete our jobs help contact form.